Monday, June 24, 2013

NEW JERSEY

P1090223 P1090235

P1090246  P1090248 P1090237 We enjoyed a 85 minute ferry ride from  Lewes Delaware to Cape May New Jersey. This town being our favorite beach town so far, no high risers and nothing built on the water side but  a long paved walkway high enough to view the ocean over the dunes. We discovered one must buy a pass to access the beaches in NJ. Of course there are yearly passes for the locals so not too costly. Cape May is full of charming houses and also a nice little shopping town about 2 blocks in from the shore different than the seaside food and gifts shops.

We have driven a ways along the southern NJ shore line and we are happy to note we have seen no aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Never having been here before we would not notice anything different except for the new sea grass on all the dunes and of course the fencing. We can not tell if the houses are rebuilt or not. They have done a wonderful job of repairing at least where we have been. The NJ shoreline is a lovely long white sand beach with relatively small waves.

P1090288note new grass planting in Atlantic City NJ

P1090305 P1090330 P1090299

P1090341 P1090355

 P1090366 Took the local bus from our campground to Atlantic City NJ. Well worth it and no parking hassles. The boardwalk is very long we didn’t even walk the entire length. It was also very hot even with a slight ocean breeze. Liked the amusement park on the Steel Pier, walking the boardwalk and were thrilled to see the sand sculptures tournament. They were fantastic! We also liked the water fountain show in the on the pier mall. We don’t gamble so no news on that front. The waiter told us the town has changed so much in recent years, now being very friendly (no attitude) and tourist/family oriented. At one time it wasn’t even safe. It certainly looks thriving now!

1 comment:

Donna said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed your trek up the east coast. The Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area is one of my very favorite areas.

In addition, I was born and raised in New Jersey. As a kid, I went to the Christian Admiral Hotel in Cape May with my grandparents. My grandfather was a Presbyterian preacher and an assistant pastor. His church purchased the Christian Admiral which is the reason I went there as a child. I'm heartbroken to say that the magnificent hotel was imploded in the 90's. I say all that to tell you that I especially love your post from Cape May! It warmed my heart! I haven't been there since I was a kid (over 45 years ago) but I hope to get up there soon and your post makes me want to go even more.

Thanks again for the pics and all your east coast adventures! D~~~~