Thursday, July 15, 2010

LABRADOR

 DSC03065 DSC03068

WELCOME TO LABRADOR- Boy it was hard to find the sign!! We couldn’t hardly see a thing

when we got off the ferry. It was cold and foggy.  We drove to Red Bay where the paved

road ends. About 67km. Good thing they just painted the white lines.

DSC03074 DSC03075

RED BAY-Went to the Historical Site of Basque Whaling.Whalers from the Basque region of Spain and France

were hunting whales and processing oil for the lucrative European market at numerous ports in southern

Labrador by the 1540’s. Red Bay was one the the largest.

 

DSC03101 DSC03092

BONEY SHORE BEACH-on the other side of the cove is a short hike to whale bones.

Here I have to mention when we got out of the truck we were attacked to biting

flies. OMG!!! It was awful, we grabbed the can of bug spray and couldn’t get it

on fast enough!. I got bitten all around the eyes, ears and scalp. I can’t even post

the picture I took of myself it was sooooo ugly. My eyes were swollen for two days.

I spent two more days looking for a net mosquito jacket and head net!

DSC03110 DSC03118

TRACEY HILL TRAIL-on the same trail this one splits off to go the top of the hill

over looking the bay. Jim had to go alone. No way was I climbing 689 steps! Way to

go Jim!!!!

DSC03084   DSC03135

DSC03104DSC03125

RED BAY-The morning was clear but by noon

the fog started rolling in again.

DSC03143

Luckily the weather was clear most of the way back to the ferry so we got to see most

of what we missed yesterday. Toward the ferry terminal as you can see it was foggy

again. Oh well we still loved it!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Love the pictures saw many places we have been....
Miss you